Saturday, August 29, 2015

The Wheelbarrow

I've been on the lookout for an old wheelbarrow for a few years now.  I've browsed through garage sales, antiques stores, Craigslist sites.  I've had my Hubby looking along the side of the roads and garage sales as he's on his bike rides. Why do I want an old wheelbarrow?  I had a blank spot next to our pomegranate tree.  I've wanted a wheelbarrow there, planted with a bush of some sort, to add some color and interest to the area.  I wanted it to look as if the wheelbarrow got left behind while picking pomegranates. Well, let me tell you, old wheelbarrows are hard to find!

But, I did find one and in the least expected place! We own a house across the street from my parents. We gave the tenants notice and we've been repairing and cleaning it so we can sell it.  I was at the house one Friday doing yard chores; pruning bushes, raking old leaves, weeding flower beds, etc.  My brother came over to observe what I was doing.  I asked him if Dad had a wheelbarrow, he answered in the affirmative and went across the street to get it.  Imagine my surprise when he shows up with an old rusted wheelbarrow! Who knew my treasure was hiding in my parents' garage?  I instantly told him I was taking it home and I would buy Dad a new one. The wheelbarrow isn't an antique by most people's standards, but it is at least 40 years old as they had it before they moved to their current home in 1973. It's rusted, dinged up, missing its rubber hand grips, and I just love it.

I've planted a yellow lantana in it.  Eventually, the bush will spread out and hang over the sides of the wheelbarrow. It's a hardy plant, doesn't need much water, so should do fine in its potted spot. Butterflies and hummingbirds love the blooms. The wheelbarrow and red gate have made a hum-drum part of the yard come alive!
Harley likes it, too!
Now I'm looking for a child-sized metal or iron headboard for my next gardening project.  Anyone seen one?

No comments:

Post a Comment