Sunday, August 2, 2015

Attack of the Watermelon Plant!

Back in late May, while shopping at the nursery with my youngest granddaughter, she spotted a watermelon plant and instantly wanted to get it.  The girl loves watermelon.  So, the urban farmer that I am, bought the plant thinking I had just the spot for it.  Clearly my agricultural knowledge is limited.  I had no idea how much space a watermelon plant takes!  This plant has taken over the space behind our pool.  Each morning I have to remove it from the patio areas as it seems to grow a foot or two each night!  It's growing up other plants, the bench, anything it can attach to! I think if I stood still for 5 minutes it would start growing up me! It's like a science fiction movie!  So far, all we have gotten from the plant are two small in-process watermelons.  We see signs that more are forming so we may get more.  My granddaughter thinks it's hilarious, she loves to go looking for a new watermelon (they are hard to find, they blend in with the vines so well!)  So, all is good, it's been a fun gardening experience for us!  Next summer I think we will stick to buying our watermelons, however, we don't have enough space for this type of gardening!

From this (yes, we garden in our pj's!)
To this!

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment