Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Berry Patch Pie

I debated about doing this blog post, the pie didn't thicken as much as I had hoped and my pictures are lousy.  But the pie was soooooooo good, I just had to share!  How good?  Well, my Hubbers, myself, and a friend ate two pieces  each (in one sitting!) before I called our next door neighbors over to finish it off!
 The recipe comes from Taste of Home. It called for 1/4 cup cornstarch.  As I mentioned, the pie filling wasn't as thick as I would prefer.  Next time (and there will be a next time!) I will use 1/3 cup.

We are still able to get fresh berries at our local Farmers Market.  They come from the coastal area and are wonderful.  If you can't find all the varieties of berries called for in the recipe, just add more of what you can find. I even used frozen blueberries. It will taste good no matter!



Berry Patch Pie

Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch (see note above)
2 cups halved fresh strawberries
1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
1 cup fresh blackberries
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice

On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry.  Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate.  Trim pasty to 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate; flute edges.  Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of aluminum foil (or line with parchment paper and fill with baking beans).  Bake at 450 degrees for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch.  Stir in berries and lemon juice.  Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until mixture just comes to a boil; pour into prepared crust. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Top with whipped cream, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment