Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!

My table is set, pumpkin pies are cooling, pie dough is ready for the apple pie. Vegetables have been washed and prepped.  The serving dishes are assembled, wine fridge is stocked.  I think we are ready for the big day!  We will have a small crowd this year, only 8 of us.  We started with a larger number and it's gradually gotten to this.  Alas, I ordered the turkey for a larger crowd, have a 21-pounder in the fridge. Yikes! My guests will get take-out containers of turkey and I'll be incorporating leftover turkey in all sorts of things in the coming days! 
I kept the table pretty simple this year, some pumpkins, gourds and a few flowers.


Our menu is pretty basic and doesn't change much from year to year.  On this day of the year it seems that everyone wants the familiar menu, it's not the day for change.  We will be serving:

Roast turkey
Cornbread dressing (we don't stuff the bird)
Mashed potatoes and giblet gravy
Sweet potato soufflé
Sauteed green beans with cranberries and bacon
Cranberry sauce (homemade and my Hubby's favorite, the canned jellied kind!)
Homemade yeast rolls

Pumpkin pie
Apple streusel pie

I love the Woodland Spode dinnerware. Someday I will splurge and get the china.
I love this holiday.  It incorporates so many of my favorite things, I call it the 4-F holiday...Food, Family, Friends and Football.  And naps.  How bad can a holiday be when you get to stuff yourself with a great meal then get to take a nap?
 
I love a little splash of purple with the traditional fall colors.

There is a lot of turmoil in our Country right now but we all have so much to be thankful for. In the words of Theodore Roosevelt "Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected from us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips, and shows itself in deeds."

No comments:

Post a Comment