Monday, November 17, 2014

Dresden Plate Pillow

The Dresden plate quilt pattern was very popular in the 1920’s and 30’s. It is also know by names such as Grandmother’s sunburst, sunflower, and friendship ring. There are usually 12 or more “petals” that are sewn together, radiating from a central circle, and then appliqued onto a block of fabric. They often look like flowers, hence the many garden names. The "petals" may be smooth at the outer edge of the circle or shaped into arcs or points, or a combination. The center of the Dresden can be plain, embroidered, decorated with trim, yo-yo's or doilies. It's a very versatile and creative pattern.
I have a Dresden plate quilt made by my Grandma over 20 years ago.  It's gotten rather threadbare so it no longer resides on a bed. I've always loved the pattern and when she offered to make me a quilt that was my request. When Grandma made a quilt she had to make a paper pattern, trace out the pattern onto the fabric, then cut out each piece.  This was all very time consuming, of course. Modern quilters have it much easier.  There are rulers and circle guides, rotary cutters and cutting mats of all shapes and sizes. It never occurred to me to make a Dresden plate, I'm not a quilter (though I'm thinking I should attempt one!) but then I saw this tutorial and she made it look so easy.  I ordered the two rulers and got to work. It was much easier than I thought it would be.  Who knew?!!
My first Dresden plate went on a pillow for my sister's birthday. I embellished the center of the Dresden with ric rac trim and added piping to the pillow. Now it's time to repeat the process and make one for me!

I'm linking up to Inspire Me Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. Well, you should be very proud of yourself. Well done and very pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete