Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salsa

The long holiday weekend is over.  It was both relaxing and tiring! I hosted a busy gathering on Sunday so the Fourth was very quiet until all the illegal fireworks started up that evening. My 4th of July gatherings are very low-key.  We hang in and around the pool, eat and drink.  Everyone contributes a dish or two, we always have homemade ice cream, I buy plastic plates and utensils, toss everything in the garbage when done, and hose down the mess!  It sure is easier than hosting Thanksgiving!

I like to have some munchies on hand as we burn off a lot of energy playing in the pool.  This salsa never fails to be devoured! I got the recipe many years ago from a food message board I belong to.  We call it Betsy's Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salsa as she is the one who originally posted it. Thank you, Betsy!  It's full of good-for-you foods though I'm sure using tortilla chips negates some of the nutritional value. You can serve it with slices of hearty romaine lettuce instead.  It's also a great topping on chicken and fish.  My 18-month old grandson couldn't get enough of it!


I have some jalapeno olive oil and used a few tablespoons of it, in place of plain olive oil.  It added a little extra spice!

The salsa is very flexible.  You can add more tomatoes or avocados, depending on your taste.  I like it just the way it is!
The little tortilla "scoopers" are the perfect chip for this salsa!

Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salsa

1 pound package frozen niblet corn, thawed
3 tablespoons oil (olive or canola)
1 tablespoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cumin powder
6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
5 tablespoons oil (olive or canola)
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup chopped red onion
3 plum tomatoes, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 15 oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 large avocados, chopped

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Toss corn with 3 tablespoons oil on a baking sheet. Bake for 18- 22 minutes until golden brown, stirring frequently.


Combine salt, cumin, lime juice, oil and vinegar; shake well in a jar. 

In a large bowl, combine rest of chopped ingredients. Add beans and corn. Add avocado, and dressing last and toss gently.

Refrigerate for up to 6 hours. Serve same day you make it.
Serves 16 easily!


I always feel so self-sufficient when I can walk out to my garden and pick fresh produce, like these jalapenos!

Ready for company!


No comments:

Post a Comment