Sunday, July 17, 2016

Old-Fashioned Peach Pie

I love to try new recipes, mostly because I get bored making the same thing.  But, every now and then, I pull out the "tried and true" recipe file.  The peaches are in season here, a peach pie or two is always part of our summer.  Usually, I will make this pie as it is my Hubber's favorite.  But today I wanted just an old-fashioned peach pie, nothing fancy, just fruit, sugar, some thickener.  I think almond flavoring complements peaches very nicely so always throw in some almond extract. Vanilla extract can be substituted or no flavoring added. The peaches are the star of this show! 

This was to be our dessert after dinner. It was coming out of the oven as I was preparing our lunch. Warm pie? Yes, please! Neither of us are real big fans of ice cream with our pie; those of you that are, this is the perfect pie for a big scoop of vanilla ice cream! 

I've been making pies since I was young girl.  Today was the first time I ever made a lattice top, I've always been too lazy to do so. I got a little creative with the pie dough today and it elevated an old-fashioned pie into something with a little more pizazz. Surprisingly, it didn't take that long to do. Something to be learned every day!


OLD-FASHIONED PEACH PIE
¾ cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
¼ teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
5 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches
1 teaspoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon almond extract
2 tablespoons butter

Pastry for 2-crust pie

In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.  Add  peaches and stir; stir in lemon juice and almond extract. Let sit for 5 minutes for juices to develop.

Pour into a pastry-lined 9” pie pan.  Dot with butter.

Add top crust, flute edges and cut steam vents (or make lattice top).

Bake in 425º oven 40 to 45 minutes, or until peaches are tender and crust is browned (cover edge with foil if it starts to brown too much).

No comments:

Post a Comment