Thursday, June 30, 2016

Boysenberry Jam Sweet Rolls

I live in the middle of California farm country.  Between the local Farmers' Markets, farm stands, friends, and family, I have access to all sorts of fresh fruits and vegetables. Boysenberries are rather hard to find in this area, however. The only source I know of is a fruit stand that grows their own.  When the announcement comes out that they are picking, I waste no time in getting there.  The harvest season is short and the demand high!  This year I got 2 flats of the yummy berries. I froze some for another day, baked a pie, and made a batch of jam.

Jam isn't just for toast or biscuits.  Jam can be incorporated in cakes and cookies.  I have a few BBQ sauce recipes that have jam in them. My office manager told me she had a craving for a berry dessert so I promised to make something.  It was a work night so I turned to my go-to cinnamon roll recipe, made in a bread machine.  Instead of cinnamon and brown sugar, I spread a layer of boysenberry jam over the dough before rolling. I refrigerated the rolls overnight, baked in the morning, topped with a quick powdered-sugar glaze, and walked into work with a still-warm pan of berry rolls. They were well received!


I like to make yeast dough but it is time consuming.  When I don't have the time to devote to the process I turn to my bread machine. While it's working away on my countertop, I can do other chores.  On this night, I made dinner, cleaned up the kitchen, and tended to laundry all while the bread machine hummed.  I love multi-tasking!

My trusty "Zo"!

Look at all that berry yumminess!
Bread Machine Sweet Dough

1 cup water
1 large egg
3 1/4 cups bread flour
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons dry milk
1/4 cup butter (cut in small cubes)
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Place ingredients in the bread machine, per the instructions to your machine. Run on dough cycle.

Once dough cycle is done, remove dough from pan and place on lightly floured surface.


To make berry rolls:

Roll dough to a 9x12" rectangle.  Spread with 1/4 cup softened butter. Spread about 3/4 cup jam over the dough.


Starting with the 12-inch side, roll dough jelly-roll style, pinch seam to seal.  With seam side down, cut into 1-inch pieces.

Place in a buttered 9x13-inch baking pan.  Cover lightly with a damp towel.  Allow to rise in warm place until size doubles, about 40 minutes to 1 hour.  (Or cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator overnight, it will have a slow rise.  One half hour before baking remove from refrigerator, remove plastic wrap and let come to room temperature).

Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment