Monday, November 2, 2015

Taco Soup (aka Busy Day Soup!)

I love to cook and bake, can spend all day in the kitchen chopping, stirring, kneading. But I have a career.  I have a home to maintain.  I'm a Mom, a Nana.  I sew and do other crafty things. Some days dinner just has to be quick! Today was one of those days, a late afternoon client appointment had me coming home later than normal. Thankfully, I had planned for this, had all the ingredients necessary to make this soup. Within an hour of walking in the door, I was in my comfy clothes, soup and cornbread done, most of the dishes washed. An added bonus is that my Hubbers loves soup, he really loves this one, so I have a happy Hubby in the house tonight, too! (He wasn't thrilled with the butternut squash pasta I served him a few days earlier.)
This is an easy soup to make; brown some ground beef and onions, throw in a few cans of ingredients.  It's not gourmet fare, it's simple but good. While the soup was simmering,  I mixed up some cornbread and got it in the oven. All-in-all, a very easy dinner!

Taco Soup

1 pound hamburger (I use extra lean)
1 small onion, diced
32 ounce can diced tomatoes
16 ounce can kidney beans
16 ounce can chicken broth
1 small bag frozen corn
1 package taco seasoning

Garnishes:
Avocado
Shredded cheddar cheese
Sour cream
Sliced black olives
Tortilla chips
Chopped green chilies

In a large pot, saute the meat and onions until browned, breaking with a spoon to get small pieces.  Add tomatoes, kidney beans (including liquid), chicken broth, corn and taco seasoning mix. Bring to boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.  Top with garnishes of your choosing.


4 comments:

  1. Julie, how much chicken broth did you add? Don't see it listed in the ingredients.
    Looks tasty & love the little pans of cornbread in your mini skillets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula! I edited the post to show the chicken broth!

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious and my hubber would probably like it as well. I didn't know that you had the Pumpkin Staub or maybe I just didn't remember. Love that pot.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete