Friday, November 6, 2015

Sewing Advice

This is from a Singer sewing machine manual in 1949:

Prepare yourself mentally for sewing.  Think about what you are going to do. Never approach sewing with a sigh or lackadaisically.  Good results are difficult when indifference predominates.

Never try to sew with a sink full of dirty dishes or beds unmade. When there are urgent housekeeping chores, do those first so your mind is free to enjoy your sewing. When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible. Put on a clean dress.  Keep a little bag full of French chalk near your sewing machine to dust your fingers at intervals. Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on.  If you are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband will come home, and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy your sewing.

Well, all I have to say is it is a good thing we are not in 1949! While I confess to making sure the bulk of my household chores are done before sewing (ask anyone, I'm uptight about my housekeeping!), I sure don't worry about my dress, hair, or lipstick! Heck, I spend many an hour at my sewing machine, unshowered, and in my pj's!  My poor Hubby, the things he has to witness!

I have been spending a lot of time in my sewing/craft room lately. I've made a few pillows and mattress pocket runners. Now I'm getting ready to jump in, feet first, into the world of quilting.  With the exception of some rag and jelly quilts, neither of which require any piecing techniques, I've done no quilting. But I've fallen in love with this quilting book, have all my materials and scraps of fabric ready to go.

If you come by my house you can expect to find me in my special room, knee-deep in fabric and thread, probably with a puzzled expression on my face, as I attempt to learn to make small pieces of fabric come together in a colorful quilt block.  What you won't find is me with perfect hair and makeup or in a nice dress! And what is French chalk anyway? Aren't you glad we aren't in 1949 anymore?


No comments:

Post a Comment