Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Chicken Stew With Biscuits

We're finally getting some winter weather in my part of California; it's winter to us when the morning temps are in the 40's and we have to wear socks instead of flip flops! We've even had some rain (and snow in the mountains) to help our drought situation. With cold weather, comes spending nights by the fire and comfort food. One of my favorite cold-weather dishes is Chicken Stew With Biscuits from the Barefoot Contessa.  Chunks of chicken in a creamy sauce and veggies, all topped with biscuits, what's not to like about that?  It's a one-bowl dinner, perfect on a cold and rainy night!
The recipe is here. It's very versatile and can be modified for your tastes.  I've tweaked it a little and make it with the following changes:

I like dark meat, my hubby likes white, so I cook a whole chicken, rather than using just chicken breasts

I omit the frozen onions, finding that the sautéed onions are plenty for our taste

I use a package of frozen mixed vegetables, preferring a variety of vegetables, not just carrots
The dish can easily be made ahead.  On the day I made it, I cooked the chicken in the morning.  Once cool, I cut the meat into bite-size pieces.  I made the sauce and assembled the dish in a baking pan and refrigerated until later.  All I did before dinner was make the biscuits, it's really an easy dinner!



No comments:

Post a Comment