Sunday, October 19, 2014

Drag Racing Baby Shower!

I grew up going to the drag races with my Dad. I went to the races pregnant with my son. Drag racing is in his blood. Last year I retired from the driving seat and turned my race car over to him. When we found out he is having a son I knew the baby shower I hosted would have a drag racing theme! I kept it colorful, incorporating all the colors of a drag racing Christmas tree (yellow, green and red), as well as traditional boy blue.  I added some feminine touches with flowers so that it wasn't all car-related. I hung race banners on the fences, giving the party a somewhat racetrack-like feel.
A highlight, for me, was a display of my son's old cars and toys.  My Hubbers and I have saved many of our children's special toys and memorabilia. I did a presentation where I gave my son his baby book, first Christmas outfit, quilt, stitched birth sampler and his toys. It got pretty emotional!

A local woman made the cake, incorporating car tools and the drag racing Christmas tree into it. It was awesome!  My Hubby made the cake stand out of a tire jack stand.
The table centerpieces were small floral arrangements that I placed in Wix oil filter boxes. I sprinkled the table with tools and spark plugs.  At each place setting was a baby buggy sugar cookie and a "wishes for Jacob" card to fill out. I made various banners in the shape of trophies.

We had a wonderful day with family and friends.  The parents-to-be got many needed baby items.
Two more months and we get to meet our little Jakey!

1 comment:

  1. You are so talented, Julie. I wish I was even one tenth as talented as you are. What an awesome job you did on the drag racing baby shower. ♥

    ReplyDelete