Sunday, December 31, 2017

2017 in Review

In my 2016 review post I mentioned that I hoped 2017 would be a better year for us as our families had health issues and deaths to get past.  2017 was slightly better, but there were still bumps in the road. Our parents have a multitude of health issues, which involves more and more of our time. My Hubbers had a stroke on July 1, which really knocked us for a loop.  He's had a great recovery and we've found that our life's priorities have changed.  Work isn't as important as it was, we are valuing our leisure time even more than before. Spending time at home, and with our family and friends, has become even more precious.

Reviewing my year's blog posts reinforces that, even with our setbacks, we still have a full and blessed life.  We did a lot of entertaining, I baked a lot of new things (I get bored baking the same things!), I made a lot of sugar cookies and I am progressing with my novice  quilting skills.  Family traditions, such as our annual tea and my granddaughters' gingerbread decorating day, continue on. I keep striving to learn and grow in many areas. I'm looking forward to 2018 and all it will bring.

Here is a little recap of some of my favorite domestic moments during 2017:

January:

We don't go out on New Year's Eve, preferring to avoid the crowds.  Instead, we stay in and I make a nice dinner for us.  This year we ate in front of the fire.  I learned to make patterned plates with mod podge and material.  It was an easy and rewarding craft, I've since made plates for other occasions.


February:

As I did in 2016, I joined an online quilt sew-along.  It was to be a tax season diversion for me. This year's sew-along went at a much faster pace and involved a lot of appliquing.  Due to  my crazy tax season schedule I couldn't keep up the pace and didn't finish the quilt until mid-summer. The quilt is beautiful and I learned a lot in the process.  I have a much simpler project in line for tax season 2018!


March: 

My kitchen is pretty much in a dormant state during March.  We are in the thick of tax season; deadlines and pressure are the norm.  But I miss being in the kitchen.  One day I made an old family favorite recipe, Texas Sheet Cake.  So easy, so good, and my office staff was quite happy with me!




April:

With the end of tax season looming, my appointments getting lighter, I got in the kitchen a little more often.  Bon Appetit said this cake recipe was one of their most popular.  I can see why, it was very light and tender.  I've since made it with other berries and it was just as good!



May:

By the time tax season ends, I have a list of projects I want to complete and I often don't know which one to start on first.  I had started these embroidered napkins at the beginning of the year, then they sat for a few months.  Once I got back to them they were easy to finish.  A simple embroidery pattern made for a beautiful set of napkins.




June:

My favorite fruit stand is up and running and boysenberries are in season!  I lost count of how many boysenberry pies and crisps I made.  Boysenberry pie is one of my favorites and this simple recipe can't be beat. I still have some frozen boysenberries in the freezer, I think I need to make a pie!



July:

I did no posting in July.  My Hubbers had a stroke July 1 and the month was spent in the hospital or in and out of doctor's offices. I missed my kitchen a lot during this time period, hospital food is as bad as you hear about!

August:

Most birthday dinners in my family revolve around tacos.  Guacamole is a must-have on taco nights!


September:

September found me hosting several parties; a baby shower for my niece and a 7th birthday party for my granddaughter.  Though tiring, I enjoy the decorating, making cookies and treats for the parties.  I also like when everything is over and I can kick up my feet and relax!





October:

My three granddaughters and I met up one afternoon for our annual Halloween gingerbread house day. This year I played with fondant and made various accessories for the houses.  The girls are getting very good at decorating, have their  own ideas of what they want to do,  and can use a piping bag quite well.  I enjoy this time with them, our giggles and laughter.



November:

I have a cake pan obsession and bought a few this year.  This fall-themed pan is one of my favorites.  This jalapeno cornbread is quite good even if you don't have a fun pan!



December:

We had our 11th annual Christmas Tea the first part of December.  This year we ranged in age from 4 weeks to 93 years old. It's become a cherished tradition.  This year's theme was Peppermint and Roses. 



Thank you for following my domestic pursuits on my little blog this year.  I enjoy your comments and questions. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment