Monday, December 11, 2017

Gingerbread Cupcakes

What is it about the Christmas holidays that make us want to bake and bake? I think the lights on the Christmas tree must send out signals to our brain putting us in the baking mode. I'm seeing lots of social media posts where my friends are baking away so I know I'm not the only one under the spell!
 
It was a gingerbread weekend for me. I spent one evening with my granddaughter decorating gingerbread cookies. I sent her home with most of our masterpieces and found myself craving some by Sunday. So I made some more cookies and these cupcakes. I took most of them over to my parents, my dad has a real sweet tooth.  In fact he said, "you sure know how to make a man happy". Well, I try, dad!

 
 These are full of all the great ingredients that make up gingerbread and are especially spicy with a little extra ginger. I topped them with a basic cream cheese frosting and a small gingerbread cookie cutout.


 I think this weekend satisfied my gingerbread craving.  Now I have peppermint on the brain! This little one and I have a peppermint bark project planned!


 
Gingerbread Cupcakes
 
2 ¾ C flour
3 T ground ginger
2 t baking soda
1 ½ t ground cinnamon
½ t ground cloves
½ t ground nutmeg
¼ t salt
10 T unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 C packed dark brown sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 ¼ C molasses
1 C hot water
 
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 standard cupcake tins with 24 paper baking cups.
 
Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt; set aside.
 
Cream together the butter and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a hand-held mixer) on high speed, about 3 minutes, or until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating slowly after each addition.  Add the molasses, mixing until well incorporated.
 
Add one third of the dry ingredients and one third of the water and mix thoroughly.  Repeat, stopping to scrape down bowl, as needed.  Add the last third of the dry ingredients and the water and mix thoroughly.
 
Scoop the batter into the cupcake liners (I use an ice cream scoop), filling about 2/3 full.
 
Bake for 16-18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.  Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
 
To make the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer until light and fluffy.  Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. After it has been incorporated turn the mixer onto the highest setting for about 10 seconds to lighten the frosting.  Add more powdered sugar, if needed, to get a thick consistency. Add in the vanilla and beat until well-blended, light and fluffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment