Friday, December 15, 2017

Christmas Stovetop Simmer

I’ve been making this stovetop simmer (or stovetop potpourri) for over 20 years now. I got the recipe from a Southern Living cookbook. It’s a spice mixture that simmers on the stove, filling the house with the wonderful spices of Christmas, such as cloves, cinnamon and citrus. It always smells like something heavenly is baking in our home when this mixture is bubbling away on our stovetop!


Recently I found a blog article where the simmer mix was bagged up for gifts. Why that never occurred to me is a mystery as I love making homemade gifts! I ordered bags and labels and bought some bulk spices at a local discount store. My 7-year old granddaughter assisted with the assembly of the gift bags, she really enjoyed that. She took home bags for her mommy, grandma and teacher. My bags got passed out to my Pilates classmates, some neighbors and friends. It’s an easy gift, I think this will become an annual tradition! If you make them for gifts, don't forget to attach instructions.  I had a label made that I put on the front of the bag.



Christmas Scent Stovetop Simmer

For one pot:
3 cinnamon sticks
3 bay leaves
1/4 cup whole cloves
1 lemon, halved *
1 large orange, halved or 1 mandarin orange *
1 quart water
Optional: handful fresh cranberries, evergreen or rosemary sprig

Combine all ingredients in a teakettle or saucepan and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer as long as desired. Check often, adding additional water, if needed. Mixture may be stored in refrigerator for several days and reused.

* If packaging for gifts, leave citrus whole.

My bags and labels were purchased from Evermine.

No comments:

Post a Comment