Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Strawberry Margarita Jam

Some days I wonder why I even venture into the kitchen...

My weekend plans included making this strawberry margarita jam.  On Saturday I ended up running around town with my Hubbers, we had our granddaughter Saturday night and all day Sunday.  Between household chores, entertaining a 3-year old, planting some flowers, swimming, etc. the jam didn't get made. My Hubbers was gone last night so I decided it would be a good night to spend in the kitchen. I should have taken into consideration a few factors, one being that it had been my first day back to work since our week-long vacation at the beach.  It was a hectic day answering phone calls, e-mails, tending to normal work. I was rather brain-tired and that became evident as I began to make the jam.

First, I forgot to buy limes. A quick dash to the store (a dozen for 98 cents!) and I was back home to juice them.
I prepped the strawberries, measured the sugar, got my jars and lids ready.  I read the recipe again and noticed I needed 2 packets of liquid pectin, I only had 1 in my cabinet. Argh, back to the store I ran!
This is really a simple jam to make but with all the interruptions I wasn't out of the kitchen until 8:30.  Usually jam making is a rather relaxing experience for me but not this night!

The jam was worth the miscues.  The jam smelled just like a strawberry margarita as it was cooking.  I was tempted to turn off the burner and drink it instead! The lime gives the jam a nice tangyness (is that a word?)  Though the alcohol burns off in the cooking process there is a distinct tequila taste to it.  This would be good with cream cheese and a bagel or crackers.  I will try it on barbecued chicken, too.

It's a nice change from traditional strawberry jam.  I know this will be in my annual jam-making repertoire.
Strawberry Margarita Jam

3 cups crushed strawberries
2/3 cup lime juice
1/2 cup tequila
1/4 cup Triple Sec
4 cups sugar
6 ounces liquid pectin (2 3-ounce packages)

In a large pot, combine strawberries, lime juice, tequila and Triple Sec.

Stir in sugar and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.  Boil for 1 minute.

Remove from heat and stir in pectin.

Skim off any foam.  Fill hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace.  Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and affix lids.

Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes (or, as my Grandma taught me, invert jars for 5 minutes and listen for "popping sound" as lids seal).

Let sit for 24 hours.

Makes 6 half-pint jars.


No comments:

Post a Comment