Sunday, February 23, 2014

Refrigerator Bran Muffins

I'm not an early morning breakfast eater or a big breakfast eater.  I have to ease into my morning so I'm usually not ready to eat anything until it's time (or past time!) to head out the door. Some mornings I'll have a bowl of oatmeal or Cheerios.  Too many days I find myself in the Starbucks drive-thru line ordering a latte and a baked good.  Not good for my budget or my waist line!

These refrigerator muffins are great to have on hand.  My Hubby's cousin introduced them to me while on a RV trip (thanks, DK!). This recipe, and variations, have been around for a while.  Most times, the old recipes are the best! It's nice to be able to bake one, two or more of these muffins without the mess of having to make the batter each time you want some. They will last in the refrigerator for 6 weeks, though we run out long before then. I usually throw them in the oven to bake while I'm getting dressed in the morning.  By the time I'm ready to leave for work they are ready to go.
Simple ingredients, easy to make!


The batter lasts about 6 weeks, in the fridge, making it very handy to make muffins in the morning!
REFRIGERATOR BRAN MUFFINS

 
6 cups All Bran cereal

2 cups boiling water

1 cup butter, melted

5 cups flour

5 teaspoons baking soda

2 teaspoons salt

3 cups sugar

4 eggs

1 quart buttermilk

 
Put 2 cups All Bran cereal into large bowl.  Add boiling water.  Mix in butter and let stand.

 
In medium bowl, lightly beat eggs with sugar and buttermilk.  Mix remaining 4 cups bran cereal to mixture. Add to All Bran mixture in large bowl.

 
Sift together flour, soda and salt.  Add to mixture.  Stir to combine.

 
Cover and store in refrigerator overnight.

 
Bake desired amount of muffins at 400° for 20-25 minutes.

 
This batter keeps for six weeks in the refrigerator.  Stir in dried fruits (raisins, cranberries) and nuts of your choice, if desired.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment