Sunday, September 10, 2017

Raspberry-Lemon Meringue Tart

I think raspberries are probably my favorite berries.  I love raspberries and peaches together but a close second would be a raspberry-lemon combination. Lemon meringue pie is one of my favorites pies so I knew this tart would satisfy my sweet tooth.  What surprised me was how much my Hubbers loved it.  He ate 2 pieces for dessert and had another piece before bed! (He then rode 30 miles on his bike the next morning!) This pie may seem a little fussy as you have to make the crust, 2 fillings, and meringue.  The crust and raspberry filling can easily be made the day before to ease the work load.



The most prestigious drag race of the year falls on Labor Day.  I was tuned in to the live coverage as (1) drag racing is my passion and (2) we had local friends who were advancing in the rounds (one won the race!) So, my attention was split between the TV and making the tart crust.  I neglected to put the unbaked crust on a baking sheet.  When I removed it from the oven, the tart ring loosened and I was stuck holding a hot tart shell.  The ring burned my arm and the crust went crashing to the ground.  Argh!  I was frustrated and told my husband we were having hot fudge sundaes for dessert (we were having company over).  He told me he's seen me whip out pie dough in no time and the pie sounded good, so he convinced me to make another pie shell.  This time I remembered to place it on a baking sheet!  I'm glad he convinced me to keep going, we all enjoyed this pie!

Ooops!

Raspberry-Lemon Meringue Tart

1 unbaked pie dough disk, homemade or refrigerated (such as Pillsbury)

Raspberry Filling:
1 bag (12 oz.) frozen whole raspberries, thawed, reserve juice
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Lemon Filling:
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups water
3 egg yolks, beaten
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter

Meringue:
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/3 cup water
3 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Using a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom or 9-inch glass pie plate (see note below), arrange pie dough in pan and flute edges. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned.  Cool on cooling rack.

In a 2-quart saucepan, mix 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons cornstarch. If necessary, add water to reserved raspberry liquid to measure 1/2 cup; gradually add raspberry mixture to sugar mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Gently fold in raspberries.  Cool 10 minutes. Spread in crust.

To start on the meringue, mix 1/3 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cornstarch in a 1-quart saucepan. Stir in 1/3 cup water; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened.  Cool completely by placing in freezer about 15 minutes.

In a 2-quart saucepan,, mix 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, the flour and salt. Gradually stir in 1 1/2 cups water, stirring until smooth. Heat to boiling over medium heat; cook and stir 1 minute longer.  Remove from heat. Quickly stir about 1/2 cup hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks; mix well.  Gradually stir egg mixture back into the hot mixture.  Stir in lemon peel and juice.  Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Add butter and stir until melted.  Let stand about 10 minutes (as you finish making the meringue).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites and 1/8 teaspoon salt with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Add the cooled cornstarch mixture, beating on medium speed until stiff peaks form.

Carefully pour hot lemon filling over the raspberry mixture in crust. Gently spread meringue over filling.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool 2 hours; refrigerate until serving time. Remove side of tart pan.

Note: My tart pan was very full and it started oozing over when I added the meringue.  I will use a pie pan the next time I make this. If you do use a tart pan, don't forget to put it on a baking sheet to bake!


No comments:

Post a Comment