Thursday, September 21, 2017

Hummingbird Bread

I don't know why, but ripened bananas always brings out the frugality in me.  I have this urge to save them, to bake with them.  I hate to throw away bananas!  My Hubbers and son love banana bread so I make it quite often.  It freezes well, too, so I usually have a loaf in the freezer.  But I get tired of baking the same ole thing. Every now and then I have to mix things up! This hummingbird bread is just a little variation from regular banana bread.  The addition of crushed pineapple and coconut gives it more of a tropical vibe. In fact, many breads called Hawaiian bread or tropical bread are basically this same recipe.


Hummingbird Cake is a classic southern cake.  I have no idea why it's called what it is but as a lover of hummingbirds, I approve of the name!  The cake recipe is Southern Living magazine's most requested recipe of all time; it's that popular.  I've made the cake a time or two; it's a 2-layer cake filled and topped with cream cheese frosting.  It takes an army to eat all of it!  The same ingredients, made into a loaf bread, is a little more manageable!  Of course, you can't omit the cream cheese frosting.  I swear that stuff makes anything taste good! I took this bread to the office and we all enjoyed it with our morning coffee and tea.


Hummingbird Bread

1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups mashed, ripe bananas (about 3-4 medium bananas)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 oz. can crushed pineapple (with juice)
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1/3 cup chopped pecans

Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chopped pecans for garnish, if desired

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour (I use baking spray) a 9x5 loaf pan.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add in eggs and vanilla and mix well.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.  Add to the butter mixture, stir until just combined.

Add in the pineapple, coconut and pecans; mix until combined.  Add mashed bananas and mix until combined.

Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a cake tester or skewer comes out clean.  Cool on wire rack for 20 minutes, then remove from pan to cool completely.

For the frosting, beat cream cheese and butter together until fluffy.  Add in vanilla extract and mix again.  Add in powdered sugar and mix until well combined. 

Spread frosting over cooled bread and sprinkle with chopped pecans, if desired.

I use an old-fashioned potato masher to mash my bananas!

No comments:

Post a Comment