Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Mini-Skillet Breakfast Tarts

My Hubbers and I recently returned home from a long weekend along the central California coast. Our "home" for the getaway was our 38-foot motorhome. We love traveling in our RV, taking our bed and creature comforts with us, and the flexibility it gives us to stop and stay wherever we decide. We were lucky enough this trip to grab a spot on a little bluff overlooking Avila Beach and the pier. What a view! Each morning I would drink my latte and watch the fishing boats head out to sea, as well as the kayakers and paddle boarders cruising around the bay.  We spotted some otters and the sea lions were always making noise.  The Harbor Patrol deputy told us whales had been spotted but we were never fortunate enough to see any of those majestic creatures.


Life slows down when we're in the RV.  On a regular day at home we are rushing to go to the gym, to work, to run errands, so breakfast is usually a bowl of cereal or toast.  In the RV we eat late leisurely breakfasts, usually no lunch, and early dinners. We play cards, go for long walks or bike rides, drink wine and watch the views.  It's a great pace for relaxing.

Our RV is pretty well stocked with the basic kitchen essentials but I usually bring along specialty items from home for certain dishes I want to make. I love my mini skillets and use them often, they add a little cuteness to a dish that makes it a little more special. I threw them in the motorhome as I wanted to make this breakfast dish with puff pastry.  I always have puff pastry sheets in my freezer.  They are great for last minute appetizers, desserts, and breakfast dishes.  Here the puff pastry works as a substitute for toast, muffin or biscuit. I plated with some fruit and a few pieces of bacon. The bacon could easily be crumbled into the egg dish, as well. This egg dish is very easy and so very good!




Mini-Skillet Breakfast Tarts

1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
Grated cheese (any kind, I used sharp cheddar)
4 medium eggs
Salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Unroll thawed sheet of puff pastry and divide into 4 equal squares. Place each square into a mini skillet and prick holes all over the bottom of each.  Bake for about 8 minutes or until barely browned and puffed.

Remove from oven and, using a spoon, make a little indentation in the puff pastry.  Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons cheese into the indentation and fill with a cracked egg.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and an additional 2 tablespoons of cheese.

Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake tarts for 7 to 9 minutes, or until the pastry has browned and egg whites are set, but yolks are still slightly runny.



2 comments:

  1. I just purchased little skillets from Crate and Barrel to try this. It looks so yummy! :)
    Love, Colby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love the mini skillets! I make some brownies in them (do a search here for the recipe)and individual servings of cornbread. They look so cute! Hope married life is treating you well!

      Delete