Sunday, December 6, 2015

Nutcrackers!

My love affair with Nutcrackers began in 1989, when I took my then 4-year old daughter to see the ballet performance.  She fell in love with the ballet production and dance; she danced until high school graduation and danced in a few local Nutcracker productions. I began buying Nutcrackers and Nutcracker-related items and cross stitched quite a few pieces. Our Christmas tree has many glass Nutcracker ornaments on it.  My favorite Nutcrackers decorate our mantel each year.
Last year, our grandson was due to arrive around Christmas so I did very minimal decorating. As we had to travel four hours for the delivery and I was going to stay with the new family to assist, I didn't want to have to take down a lot of Christmas decorations.  So my collection stayed packed away.  It was so much fun opening up their boxes this year, it was like meeting old friends!


 
Some of my Nutcrackers were brought home by friends and family on trips to Germany. My newest one from Germany arrived this summer.  My nephew was stationed in Germany during his stint in the U.S. Army.  I asked (ok, I begged!) him to bring home a Nutcracker and he didn't let me down.
The center Nutcracker arrived from Germany this summer!
The Nutcracker ballet begins its annual Christmas showing this weekend in our town.  My 10-year old granddaughter is participating in her fifth Nutcracker. She longs to play the role of Clara and we are so proud of her! Even though I've seen the ballet many, many times we will attend to watch her. And my love affair with Nutcrackers will continue!

1 comment:

  1. Your Nutcracker collection is absolutely exquisite. I do have a couple of Nutcrackers that you have in your collection. My daughter danced with our local ballet company and danced in the Nutcracker many times. Never in the part of Clara but I hope someday that one of my grand daughters will dance in our local ballet company as Clara. Your grand daughter is beautiful and I wish I could share that moment with you, I do know that feeling. {{{HUGS}}} to you, Julie.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete