Sunday, October 11, 2015

Marshmallow Cereal Treats

We had a pumpkin patch party to attend, my contribution was to bring a dessert.  I've been wanting to try a new recipe for an apple butter pound cake so thought that this party would be a good time to make it.  I gathered all the ingredients which included 5 eggs, 3 sticks of butter, 8 ounces of cream cheese, pecans, apple butter, flour, etc. My kitchen smelled wonderful, the cake released from the pan with no problem. As it was cooling, I reviewed the recipe and my heart dropped; I hadn't added the sugar! Oh no! Now what to bring?

So I had to go to Plan B.  The granddaughters love Rice Krispie treats and they are easy and quick to make. I didn't have enough Rice Krispies in the cabinet, but I had a full box of Trix (Nana's must always be prepared!), so I substituted. I had some rainbow-colored mini marshmallows and threw them in at the end. I liked this addition, there was the melted marshmallows and bits of fruit-flavored marshmallows, along with the cereal. A little drizzle of melted orange candy coating and we had a treat suitable for a pumpkin party!
They aren't fancy but, to be honest, I'm sure the kids enjoyed them more than they would have the pound cake. Sometimes you just have to resort to the easy, tried and true treats! The pound cake is on my agenda to make again, let's hope I don't have another senior baking moment!

Marshmallow Cereal Treats

4 tablespoons butter
40 large marshmallows or 10 ounce bag mini marshmallows
6 cups Fruit Loops
10 ounce bag rainbow marshmallows

Combine butter and marshmallows in a large microwave-safe bowl.  Microwave, in 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until marshmallows and butter are melted. Stir thoroughly so that the butter and marshmallows are fully incorporated. Working  quickly, stir in cereal and rainbow marshmallows. With buttered hands, pat into a buttered 9x13-inch pan. Let cool before cutting into squares.

This is all it takes!

Granddaughter approved!

No comments:

Post a Comment