Sunday, October 18, 2015

Cheddar, Apple and Pastrami Grilled Cheese

So far this fall, I've made two batches of apple butter. It's one of my favorite spreads.  This recipe hit my Facebook feed last week and I knew I had to make it.  I confess to never considering putting apple butter in a sandwich.  I've been officially enlightened, oh my goodness, it makes an amazing addition!
The grocery store I went to on the way home from work didn't have white cheddar so I used a white artisan cheese.  It didn't melt very well, but the sandwich was still good.  My Hubbers requested that I put this in the regular rotation; that's always a nice request and confirmation the recipe was a success!

Cheddar, Apple and Pastrami Grilled Cheese

3 tablespoons apple butter
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon honey
Kosher salt
4 1/2-inch-thick slices sourdough bread
8 ounces aged white Cheddar, thinly sliced or coarsely grated (about 2 cups)
2 ounces thinly sliced pastrami
6 to 10 very thin slices of apple
Unsalted butter, softened

Combine the apple butter, mustard, honey, and a good pinch of kosher salt in a small bowl.  Spread evenly on two slices of bread and top with half the cheese and pastrami. Top that with a layer of sliced apple, overlapping the slices slightly, and the remaining cheese. Top with the other slices of bread to make two sandwiches.

Spread butter on outside of bread. Grill in warmed skillet or in panini press.

No comments:

Post a Comment