Monday, September 14, 2015

Strawberries and Football?

In most parts of the country, the beginning of football season corresponds with the beginning of fall. The leaves are turning, there is a chill in the air, the tailgaters are serving chili.  The seasons change a little slower in central California and the start of the 2015 NFL season was ushered in with temperatures in the upper-90's. While there were some apples and squash at the Farmers' Market, I was still able to buy some gorgeous strawberries. I hadn't yet made my granddaughters their annual batches of strawberry jam so I found myself in the kitchen, doing what would normally be a spring endeavor,  and enjoying the boys of fall. It was quite a contrast of seasons!

The berries are just as plump and flavorful as the ones we got in the spring!
Those that know me know I love my football Sundays.  When we remodeled our home I made sure to have a TV in the kitchen so I wouldn't miss a down (and so my family wouldn't miss a dinner!) With the TV blaring, I made a batch of strawberry freezer jam and two batches of cooked jam.  My granddaughters have enough jam to last them for a while!  




I can't view the TV from the sink area so the dishes had to wait until halftime.  I asked for a maid but no one ever showed up!

Tonight it's Monday Night Football (go Niners!) On the agenda tonight?  Cutting out and baking pieces for Halloween gingerbread houses. That's a little more fall-oriented than strawberry jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment