Friday, January 9, 2015

Birthday Treats for Harley!

My buddy is 12 today. I find myself being very melancholy about this birthday as I know there won't be many more.  He is 100% deaf, his eyes are glazing over, he has major anxiety if he can't see me. Yet, he still runs and plays (just not as long as he used to!), loves to play with his stuffed animals, and chase the birds (he hasn't caught one yet!) He was supposed to be my children's dog.  They left for college and life, I got left with the dog.  Everyone who is around me knows I adore him and he adores me. I will be crushed when it's time to tell him goodbye!

But, it's not time for goodbyes yet, just spoiling! For his birthday he got a treat of Pumpkin Dog Biscuits. They are easy to make and much better for him than the boxed treats (which he gets plenty of!)
 Happy birthday, Harley!

Pumpkin Dog Biscuits

2 eggs
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons dry milk
2 1/2 cups flour
Water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Blend eggs and pumpkin together; add salt, dry milk, and flour.

Add water, as needed, to make the dough workable (I used 3 tablespoons). The dough will be dry and stiff.  Mix with a wooden spoon, it is too stiff for an electric mixer.

On a lightly floured surface, roll to 1/2" thick.  Cut into shapes with knife or cookie cutter.

Place 1" apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 20 minutes on one side, then turn over and bake another 20 minutes.

Cool completely before giving to your pet.  Keep in a covered container, will last 7-10 days.
Doesn't every well-stocked kitchen have a dog bone cookie cutter?




No comments:

Post a Comment