Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Tomato Tart

The last few days we've had 100+ degree days. Hot, hot, hot!  Big dinners don't appeal to me on hot days.  Nor does standing over a hot stove or making my house warmer by turning the oven on.  I feel compassion for my Hubbers and don't plan grilled meals (he thinks he's cooked dinner if I give him something to grill). So, what's a girl to cook? This tomato tart was just the answer. My food board friend, Glynda, provided this recipe.  It came from a Junior League of Jackson, Mississippi cookbook.
Anytime I make pie dough I always make extra. Making one batch, or multiple batches of dough, is the same kitchen mess so why not think ahead! A round of pie dough will last in the fridge a day or two, in the freezer for a few months. I made a peach pie on Friday, the extra dough went in a tomato tart for Saturday night's dinner.  I baked it early in the day, while it was still cool.  Putting dinner on the table was a breeze; a slice of tart, a few slices of fresh melon and we were good to go. My Hubbers had the difficult task of opening our bottle of wine!

Tomato tarts are very popular in Europe. Europeans tend to cook with fresh ingredients that result in simple dishes.  The tarts are a great use of fresh tomatoes.  They are good warm or at room temperature. They make a great picnic food. This tart, with the mozzarella and basil, is like eating a caprese salad in a crust! I had never made anything like this but we really enjoyed our meal.  The bonus was we each had a slice for breakfast the next day!
The heirloom tomatoes at the Farmers' Market are so flavorful and pretty!

I used fresh mozzarella, which was too soft to shred, so I just tore off chunks of it!
Ready for the oven!
Fresh Tomato Tart

Pastry dough for 10" pie (homemade, frozen, or Pillsbury refrigerated)
8 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Ripe tomatoes, cut in 1/2" slices
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon extra virgin oil oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line a removable-bottom tart pan with pastry dough. 

Spread bottom of dough with cheese and sprinkle with basil.  Cover with tomato slices, arranging to cover as evenly as possible.  Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.

Bake 30 to 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment