Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Swirled Cookie Bars

Ever since social media has arrived on the scene, with sites such as Pinterest and Instagram, my cookbook buying has dwindled to almost nothing.  I've also eliminated a lot of my collection as I hardly used them. This blog now serves as my personal cookbook, I rarely turn to recipe cards, cookbooks, or newspaper clippings; I just come here to find our family favorites. My Pinterest boards are filled with recipes, many of which I know I will never get around to making!  Anytime I get a whim for something I just do a search and, voila!, recipes abound everywhere.

I was perusing Instagram while parked outside my granddaughter's school, awaiting the end-of-school bell.  I came upon a posting by Half Baked Harvest for these bars.  Chocolate chips?  Peanut Butter? Yum! I instantly knew what my granddaughter and I would be doing that afternoon!


Baking with kids is always an experience.  She is really into being a teacher these days so she wanted her "class" to observe our baking session.  She set her dolls up in a line and I had to act like a baking instructor and explain each step of the procedure.  It took longer to make the bars than it should have but she was entertained and happy.  That's what Nanas are for!

These bars are so easy to make.  They are basically the standard Toll House cookie recipe in a bar form with the addition of a layer of peanut butter.  We couldn't wait for them to cool off and were eating them while still warm.  The peanut butter was oozing everywhere but they were so good! A big glass of cold milk is a must with these!



Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Swirled Cookie Bars

2 sticks ( 1 cup) salted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 (12 oz.) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until creamy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until combined and creamy. Beat in the vanilla.  Add the flour and baking soda and beat until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Spread 1/2 the dough into the prepared dish.  Dollop, and then gently swirl, the peanut butter into the dough. Top with the remaining 1/2 dough. (Don't worry if the dough doesn't fully cover the peanut butter, it will spread during baking). Transfer to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until just set in the center.  Let cool and cut into bars.

Recipe adapted from Half Baked Harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment