Thursday, September 22, 2016

Shrimp and Lobster Ravioli with a Limoncello Cream Sauce


I have become obsessed with Limoncello.  It’s probably been around for 100 years but I’ve only discovered it for about a year now.  I’m definitely behind! Besides being a nice after-dinner drink or used in a brunch beverage, it’s also quite good for baking.  Basically any recipe that calls for lemon juice can be enhanced by using Limoncello. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

I ran across a ravioli recipe at the Proud Italian Cook website with a Limoncello cream sauce and knew I had to try it.  One, because, as I’ve mentioned, I’m becoming quite fond of Limoncello.  Two,  I like to make fresh pasta and am getting better at it each time I do. A free Sunday afternoon found me putting this all together.


The original recipe called for two lobster tails and one pound of shrimp.  As it was a dinner for two, I halved those ingredients.  By doing so, I still had more filling than I had pasta. The ingredients are pretty pricey and I didn’t want to waste them so tossed the rest of the ingredients into the sauce.

The recipe also called for 1 teaspoon of mascarpone cheese, which is basically an Italian-style cream cheese.  At my local stores it’s around $5 for a container; too expensive for just one teaspoon!  So, I left that ingredient out and didn’t notice that it was missing.  I also added Parmesan cheese to the sauce, to thicken it up some and add a little more saltiness.  I found the sauce to be too sweet without the cheese, but everyone’s taste buds are different!

Another nice thing about cooking or baking with Limoncello is you don’t have to open a bottle of wine, you can just pour a little shot of Limoncello while you work! This tends to make for a happy cook!

Pasta dough can easily be made in the food processor but doing it the old-fashioned way means I don't have to wash more dishes!


 
Shrimp and Lobster Ravioli with a Limoncello Cream Sauce

1 recipe pasta dough (I used this recipe)

 Filling:

1 small lobster tail, pre-cooked and chopped into small pieces
½ pound of medium shrimp, pre-cooked and chopped into small pieces
1 garlic clove, diced
½ shallot, finely chopped
1 teaspoon Limoncello or lemon juice
¼ cup Ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon chopped parsley

 Limoncello Cream Sauce:

4 tablespoons Limoncello
1 tablespoons lemon juice
1 stick unsalted butter
Heavy cream
Parmesan cheese

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a sauté pan, add garlic and shallot, and cook for a few minutes until softened.  Add cooked seafood and parsley, toss until coated; set aside to cool.

Combine the cooled seafood mixture and Ricotta cheese.

Roll out pasta dough into long sheets.  Space a heaping teaspoon of filling along the pasta sheet, spacing evenly.  Brush along edges of filling with beaten egg wash.  Place second sheet of pasta on top and seal edges.  Using a ravioli press, cut into shapes. Drop into boiling salted water and cook.

For the sauce, simmer the Limoncello and lemon juice, then whisk in the butter until well incorporated.  Add cream and Parmesan cheese to get a thicker sauce.  Note that this is a light sauce, you aren’t drenching the ravioli. Spoon sauce over cooked ravioli and sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment