Monday, August 29, 2016

Limon Royale

We recently spent a long weekend in the Napa Valley.  We took our motorhome and enjoyed 3 days of relaxation.  Things move at a slower pace in the RV; no early morning alarm clock, rushing to get to work, the household chores. Except for weekends, very rarely do I cook breakfast at home, both of us grabbing something easy like a bowl of cereal or toast.  But in the RV we sleep in a little later and I prepare us a big breakfast.  We normally won't have lunch, then have an earlier than normal dinner. It's a nice relaxing schedule! The downside is I have to re-train my Hubbers when we return, he gets very used to having breakfast and me waiting on him!

While watching Food Network a few weeks back, I watched Valerie Bertinelli make a prosecco and limoncello drink.  I immediately added it to my list of things to make while in the RV. I made the candied lemon slices the night before our trip and kept them refrigerated.

I'm rather new to limoncello, which is an Italian lemon liqueur, having "discovered" it just a year or so ago.  Oh, my, is it nice stuff!  Now I always have a bottle in my freezer. I've used it a few times in baking, such as this cake. It added such a nice pop of citrus to the prosecco.  I will confess that we each had two glasses that morning!

Limon Royale

1 medium lemon
2/3 cup sugar
9 tablespoons limoncello
One 750-milliliter bottle prosecco

Cut the lemon crosswise into thin (just under 1/8-inch thick) rounds. Combine the sugar with 2/3 cup water in a medium skillet and bring to a bare simmer over medium-low heat.  Add the lemon slices and cook at a bare simmer until the rinds are almost completely translucent, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand in the syrup until cool.  Transfer the lemon slices to a cooling rack set over a baking sheet and allow to dry for 3 hours at room temperature.

(The remaining cooled lemon simple syrup can be stored in an airtight container or jar and reserved for another use, it will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks).

Pour 1 1/2 tablespoons limoncello (or just pour some in, who needs to measure?) into each of 6 Champagne flutes or wine glasses, then fill with the prosecco.  Garnish each flute with a candied lemon slice and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment