Thursday, August 31, 2017

Peach Melba Pie

Though we're having very warm days in the central California valley (we are having multiple days of 100+ degree temps, yikes!), I can feel summer coming to a close.  My grandchildren are back in school. My summer flowers are looking a little peaked, soon I will be pulling them and replacing them with fall/winter flowers.  The sunflowers are hanging their heads, the pomegranates and apples will soon be picked. Fresh-picked fruits and vegetables are disappearing, I find myself going to the produce stand often to get more of this year's crop before it's gone.  My favorite fruit stand has quit picking peaches but I snagged a small bag recently. I think the thing I miss most, when summer is gone, is the fresh produce.

I've always been fond of the peach and raspberry combination.  The most common type of this dessert combination is a peach melba; a dessert of vanilla ice cream, peaches and raspberry sauce.  Combining the fruits in a streusel-topped pie, served with a scoop of ice cream, is a great rendition of the classic dessert. It is probably my last peach pie of the season and we all enjoyed it!


Normally I do a basic streusel topping for an open-faced pie, a streusel with brown sugar, oatmeal, etc. This streusel topping intrigued me as it has powdered sugar and baking powder in it. The result is the topping is light and almost creamy when baked, it oozes into the top layer of the pie as it bakes, similar to a brulee topping. My family isn't a big fan of almonds in baked goods so I left them out. I would've liked it but have to please the masses! I served this after dinner to my parents and shared with my next-door neighbors.  There were no leftovers!



Peach Melba Pie

Pie dough disk for single-dough pie

Peach-Raspberry Filling

1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon zest
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 pounds ripe peaches, halved, peeled, pitted and sliced about 1/2-inch thick
1 basket (pint) raspberries

Streusel Topping

1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sliced almonds, if desired

Roll out the dough on a lightly-floured work surface to about 12 inches in diameter.  Transfer the dough to a pie plate.  Trim the excess dough to about 1/2 inch, roll edge under and flute and crimp.  Refrigerate about 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Line the refrigerated pie shell with aluminum foil or parchment paper and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake 20 minutes, until the crust begins to brown slightly. Remove from the oven and cool completely.

To make the streusel, combine all the streusel ingredients, except the almonds, and mix with a rubber spatula until the mixture resembles crumbly cookie dough. Add the almonds and mix to combine; set aside.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees with the rack set at the lower third of the oven. Mix the sugars, cornstarch, salt, lemon zest and juice.  Add the peaches and mix.  Gently sir in raspberries.

Add the fruit filling to the pre-baked pie shell.  Top with the almond streusel, sprinkling on a little at a time and covering the whole pie evenly. 

Bake on a foil or parchment-lined baking pan for 60 to 75 minutes, until the fruit starts to bubble around the sides.  Transfer the pie to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment