Thursday, January 26, 2017

Croissant Bread Pudding

I enjoy bread pudding, my Hubbers hates it.  Consequently, I only get it when we eat out or if I happen to be at my Mom's when she has made one. Recently, one of my food board friends, Martha, made Ina Garten's croissant bread pudding and raved and raved about it.  I knew I had to try it but it had to be a time when I wasn't the only one around to eat it!  As it was my turn to host our neighborhood book club, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to try the recipe.  My neighborhood ladies are always indulgent of me making them my culinary guinea pigs and they give me good feedback on my experimentations.  We all loved it, there wasn't a crumb left in our bowls! 


This bread pudding is a little different than most.  Traditionally, bread puddings are made with leftover bread, oftentimes resulting in a dense bread pudding.  Croissants are a little more delicate and lighter.  Instead of being totally absorbed in the croissants, the custard formed a layer on the bottom of the dish.  Ooh, la, la, I loved that! Many bread puddings are seasoned with cinnamon, this had no seasonings, other than vanilla.

 
I topped our servings with a dollop of rum whipped cream, though any flavor liqueur would be good.  I may try it with Grand Marnier next time. There will be a next time whether my Hubbers wants some or not!
 
 Croissant Bread Pudding
 
3 extra-large whole eggs
8 extra-large egg yolks
5 cups half-and-half
1-1/2 cups sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
6 croissants, preferably stale
1 cup raisins
 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole eggs, yolks, half-and-half, sugar, and vanilla. Set the custard mixture aside. Slice the croissants in half, horizontally. In a 10 x 15 x 2 1/2-inch oval baking dish, distribute the bottoms of the sliced croissants, then add the raisins, then the tops of the croissants (brown side up), being sure the raisins are between the layers of croissants or they will burn while baking. Pour the custard over the croissants and allow to soak for 10 minutes, pressing down gently.

Place the pan in a larger one filled with an inch of hot water. Cover the larger pan with aluminum foil, tenting the foil so it doesn’t touch the pudding. Cut a few holes in the foil to allow steam to escape. Bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 40 to 45 more minutes or until the pudding puffs up and the custard is set. Remove from the oven and cool slightly.

Dust with confectioners sugar and serve with rum whipped cream, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment