Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

 As I've said before, I get bored cooking and baking the same things.  I'm always trying new recipes.  My Hubbers, on the other hand, has his favorites and prefers that I include them in the rotation on a regular basis.  Every now and then, he gets his wish! He loves pineapple upside-down cake.  For dinner one night last week, I made halibut with a topping of tropical salsa which resulted in some unused pineapple.  I put it in a bowl and started to put it in the fridge for another day. But those pineapple slices were calling me, telling me I needed to bake a cake. I listened, my Hubbers got his cake.  I now have unused brownie points to be redeemed for my next household project!  It all works out in the end!

This recipe is a little lighter than traditional pineapple upside-down cakes as the egg whites are beat separately from the yolks and lightly folded in. After turning out the cake, the buttery-brown sugar mixture oozes down the sides.  It's decadent, yummy, old-fashioned food!

If you will notice I ran out of maraschino cherries. No one noticed, the cake was gone in a flash!

Pineapple-Upside Down Cake

1/3 cup butter
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple **
3 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Maraschino cherries, if desired

** Or fresh pineapple slices and 1/3 cup pineapple juice

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  While preheating, melt butter in an ungreased 9-inch square baking pan. When butter is melted, remove pan from oven and stir in brown sugar until combined. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup juice.  Arrange 9 pineapple slices in a single layer over sugar mixture (refrigerate any remaining slices for another use). Place a cherry in center of each pineapple slice, if desired.

In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored.  Gradually, add sugar, beating well.  Blend in vanilla and reserved pineapple juice.  Combine flour, baking power, and salt; add to batter, beating well.

In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.  Spoon into pan.

Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.



1 comment:

  1. Oh yummy...that looks so good. I haven't made an upside down in ages...maybe it's time!

    ReplyDelete