Monday, April 13, 2015

Strawberry Trifle

Tax season 2015 has been brutal, very long hours, 7 days a week, numbers everywhere.  We are down to the last few days and the end can't come soon enough for me.  I miss being home, I long to get back in the kitchen, craft room and my garden, in no particular order!

Sunday I "only" worked until mid-afternoon so had time to run by the local strawberry patch near my house. It's been open a few weeks now but I haven't had the time or energy to make the trip and to do something with the strawberries.  I brought home three baskets of just-picked strawberries, some of which may have ended up in my mouth on the way home. I wanted to make a treat for the office and decided on a trifle. Trifles are easy to make, transport well, and look pretty, too.  While our dinner was cooking I baked an angel food cake.  This morning I got up a little earlier than normal and assembled the trifle. The berries are so fresh and yummy this time of year, I had a few for breakfast!
Many trifles have jam-layered pieces of pound cake and are often sprinkled with a liqueur. This trifle is very simple...layers of cubed angel food cake, vanilla pudding, sliced strawberries and topped with a layer of fresh whipped cream. It's more like an amped-up version of strawberry shortcake.

Strawberry Trifle

Angel food cake (I baked mine in 2 loaf pans to make it easier to slice and cube)
1 package instant vanilla pudding
2-3 pints strawberries, sliced
1 cup whipping cream

Make pudding per package directions, set aside to thicken some.

Whip cream, adding sugar to taste.

Layer cubed angel food cake in trifle dish, top with one-half the pudding and one-third the sliced strawberries.  Repeat.  For the final layer, layer cubed angel food cake and remaining strawberries, top with whipped cream.

This trifle is best served immediately or within a few hours of assembling as the angel food cake will begin to get soggy after a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment