Monday, April 27, 2015

Chocolate Crispy Cookies

My daughter asked for this recipe the other day and I was reminded that it had been a while since I had made them.  Why, I don't know, as they are so easy and I usually have all the ingredients on hand! I've been making these cookies since 1985, when I was home on maternity leave with my daughter. The recipe was found in a Southern Living magazine. They have been a family favorite ever since. They are a nice change from traditional "Toll House" chocolate chip cookies.  These cookies have no brown sugar and the crunch is provided by rice cereal (Rice Krispies) instead of nuts. Kids love them!
Chocolate Crispy Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups crisp rice cereal
1 (6-ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beating well. Combine flour, soda and salt; add to creamed mixture, beating well.  Stir in the rice cereal and chocolate morsels.

Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls (or small ice cream scoop) onto lightly greased or parchment-lined cookie sheets. Bake for 13 minutes.  Cool slightly on cookie sheets; remove to wire racks.

Yield: approximately 3 dozen cookies
My most-adorable baking assistant!

1 comment:

  1. Julie, I love the addition of the rice krispies, sounds like a nice crunch. I will try this recipe soon. DH LOVES chocolate chip cookies. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete