Sunday, March 22, 2015

Patience

Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you do any sort of gardening you know that patience is a must.  Seeds planted today take time to sprout.  Trees and bushes die in the winter, then slowly come back to life in the spring, bursting forth with new greenery and blooms. Gardening slows us down, requires us to have patience, to believe in the wonder of tomorrow.

I've been working at a feverish seven-days-a-week pace, my only day off since February 1 was earlier this week when I had an unexpected stay in the hospital. I worked seven hours today then came home and puttered in the backyard. Playing in the dirt is so calming to me, it's mindless work, I can feel myself unwind as I weed, clean and prune. I've not had time to spend in the garden lately and I was pleasantly surprised at all the changes.  The rose bushes are full of new buds just waiting to open. The clematis is about to bloom. Raspberries are forming on the bush and the apple tree is beginning to blossom.  Bulbs planted last winter are now in full bloom. The fragrance of flowers is everywhere. Spring has arrived once more! My brief respite in the garden made me want to go to the garden center and stock up on flowers and supplies.  I must use some more patience as I still have 24 days left until tax season is over!






No comments:

Post a Comment