Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Chocolate Cake Roll

This is an easy dessert and looks impressive, too! For me, often the easiest projects bring me the most grief.  I think I get complacent and don't pay as much attention to the instructions as I should. The cross stitch project I'm currently working on is a very easy and basic pattern. I think I have ripped out more threads than I have on the linen right now! So frustrating! Making this cake became problematic for me, too.  I took it out of the oven and it was rather lumpy.  I let it cool, then inverted on the towel and proceeded to (attempt) remove the waxed paper.  It was stuck and tearing off in chunks no matter how careful I was.  I was thinking I should just cut it up in cubes and make a trifle.  I took a bite of the cake and it was so bitter.  A quick perusal of the recipe and I remembered that I didn't add the sugar! How dumb! Thankfully, the cake is easy to make and I quickly had another one in the oven. All turned out well with the second attempt!


The filling in this cake can be modified for various add-ins and flavorings to the whipped cream.  On this day I added toffee bits and vanilla sugar to the filling. Use your imagination! Other suggested combinations are:

Grand Marnier liqueur and chocolate chips
Crème de Menthe liqueur and chopped Andes mints
Amaretto liqueur and maraschino cherries
Crushed up peppermint sticks
Chopped up peanut butter cups 

Making the roll isn't difficult, the key is to roll up the cake while it is still warm and let it cool in the roll shape.  Once cool, it is very easy to unroll, add the filling and re-roll. A little extra effort to make a roll but it looks so nice!

Chocolate Cake Roll

4 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Filling:
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, or other flavoring
1/3 cup toffee chips, or other add-ins

Frosting:
1/4 cup butter, cubed
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside.

In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed for 3 minutes.  Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored.

Beat in the chocolate, water and vanilla.  Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; fold into chocolate mixture.  Spread evenly into prepared pan.

Bake at 375 degrees for 10-13 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.  Cool for 5 minutes.

Invert cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar.  Gently peel off waxed paper.  Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side.  Cool completely on a wire rack.

In a large bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form; adding sugar gradually.  Add desired flavoring and add-ins.

Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2" of edges.  Roll up again.  Place seam side down on a serving platter.

For frosting, melt butter and chocolate in a microwave; stir until smooth.  In a large bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla.  Add chocolate mixture; beat until smooth.  Spread over cake roll.


No comments:

Post a Comment