Saturday, April 19, 2014

Lemon Panna Cotta

Panna Cotta in Italian means cooked cream.  It's similar to a custard, without the eggs. After having tried it in various restaurants I knew it couldn't be difficult to make.  I made my first Panna Cotta for New Year's and we loved it.

It's a very simple dessert, rather plain even.  I think that's why I gravitated to a picture of Panna Cotta in the May-June 2014 issue of Southern Lady.  They used a Wilton silicone mold to set the Panna Cotta.  It made such a pretty presentation, I knew I had to try it! Taking a simple recipe and combining it with an unusual or pretty presentation can really elevate a dish, make it seem more special.
I love the combination of lemon and berries, which is another reason the recipe attracted me. I liked the lemon flavor in the Panna Cotta but thought it was a little firm.  I like the recipe I used on New Year's Eve better, it had a slightly softer texture. One used yogurt, one used sour cream, so that is probably the difference. Next time I will make the first recipe and add lemon zest and juice to it. But, that being said, this was still a very good dessert!
Lemon Panna Cotta With Raspberry Coulis

1 (.25 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons cold water
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Raspberry Coulis (recipe follows)
Garnish: fresh raspberries, lemon curls

In a small bowl, combine gelatin and cold water ; set aside for 5 minutes.

In a medium saucepan, combine cream and sugar over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.  Add softened gelatin, stirring until gelatin dissolves.  Remove from heat, and add sour cream, lemon zest, and lemon juice, whisking until smooth.

Pour cream mixture into silicone flower molds.  Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set. Serve with Raspberry Coulis. Garnish with fresh raspberries and lemon curls, if desired.
The recipe made 6 flower-shaped Panna Cottas.
 
Raspberry Coulis

1 (6-ounce) container fresh raspberries
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water

In the container of a blender or the work bowl of a food processor, process raspberries until pureed.  Press puree through a fine-mesh strainer, discarding solids.

In a small saucepan, combine raspberry puree, sugar, and water over medium heat.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.  Let cool completely. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Due to my crazy work schedule from January to April we often don't get to spend much time celebrating Easter.  As a result, I don't have an over-abundance of Easter decorations and very few Easter dishware items.  These plates were given to me by my sister over twenty years ago.  They are still some of my favorites! Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment