Saturday, December 7, 2013

A Gingerbread Tea

Eight years ago my cousin & I were lamenting the fact that most of our family (Dad's side) only saw each other at funerals. A sad fact considering we all live within 20 miles of each other!  Our kids are growing up, our parents are aging, we all have busy lives, all the excuses why you don't make time to get together. We took it upon ourselves to organize a gathering for the females in our family.  The first year we met at a tea shop.  There were about eight of us in attendance that year but we had a nice time.  The next year that tea shop had closed so we picked another one.  It was a disappointment.  We were stuck in a corner of a gift shop, the food was canned or boxed and it was pricey per person.  We all love to cook and bake and said that we could do our own tea better.  So, for the last six years, the tea has been held in my home on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving weekend.  It has grown and this year we had 19 in attendance, ranging in age from my two-year-old great niece to our great aunt who is in her mid-80's.

Everyone brings a savory or sweet (many bring both!) to share.  I provide the setting, tea, scones, lemon curd & strawberry jam (all homemade). I also give each guest a jar of pomegranate jelly.We do a "white elephant" type of tea cup exchange. Though it wears me out, I get a lot of joy out of providing a beautiful event for my family. We use the Christmas china, crystal, I rent nice linens and try to come up with a theme that will enchant both young and old. This year's theme was gingerbread. 
Now I confess that I get carried away with creating and decorating at times.  This was one of those times.  For the last three weeks I've been knee-deep in gingerbread. With the help of my hubby, I built six gingerbread houses that became the table centerpieces.  My daughter spent a Saturday afternoon with me helping to decorate them.  I made a gingerbread garland.  I made a mama gingerbread for the centerpiece of the kids' table as well as individual gingerbread girls at each of their place settings. If you are counting, that is 36 cups of flour and 9 cups of molasses! I'm pretty much over gingerbread at the moment.

We had a great day.  The kids were well-behaved (their parents are probably not liking me right now because I sent them home with a lot of candy!), we caught up with our lives, laughed, reminisced, helped enhance the family ties and enjoyed good food. Only 365 days until next year's tea!






I'm linking up at a Stroll Through Life.

12 comments:

  1. A lovely tea party. A lot of work but big results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely amazing!!!!!! What can I say, you blow me away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, how fabulous. Everything is amazing. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful!!! I invite you to add it to my gingerbread house tour xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing at the gingerbread house tour. Hugs and happy new year wishes!

      Delete
  5. What a fun and sweet party! I bet everyone had a blast! :)

    Merry Christmas!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the gingerbread houses. Looks and sounds like everyone had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so many wonderful houses.. just learning about the fun of making them and stopped in from Katherines blog hop... and posted my own gingerbread house ... noting as wonderful as these but great fun none the less. Thank you for sharing... my have to make one of the those garlands ... have several cookie cutter men too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! I LOVE your gingerbread houses, your kitchen, your Christmas tree, the standing gingerbread cookies, your mantle - everything! Thanks so much for sharing with me, and please, feel free to continue sharing posts with me... I'd love to see the amazing things you're up to (and your pretty house!). Glad you had a great time with your family too... that's what it's all about. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! Your houses were my inspiration!

      Delete