Sunday, December 2, 2018

2018 - Tea at the Christmas Tree Farm!

The girls in my family recently met for our 12th annual Christmas tea in my home. This year we only had 8 in attendance. In prior years we had attendance as high as 18.  Family issues, illnesses, and busy sports schedules meant I originally had RSVP's for 14, but it kept dwindling down, even on the day of the tea. This was disappointing to me as I spend a lot of time and money trying to make a memorable tea for everyone.  I'm not sure I will have the enthusiasm to tackle this next year, only time will tell.



Those of us in attendance had a nice time. The youngest to attend was my 7-month old great-nephew.  He was so good, just smiled and played the entire time. The oldest was my 80 year old mom.  Mom has dementia and it's becoming increasingly hard for her to do even the most basic tasks. She has always loved our tea parties and she had a wonderful time. Next up was my 79 year old aunt.  She, too, has health issues but was a trooper and carried on. The main purpose of our annual tea is to keep the generations together.  My 8 year old granddaughter was able to spend time with her older relatives as well as the baby. Family is everything, right?

Red farm trucks and black and white buffalo plaid is very "in" right now.  I chose my theme a year ago and started picking up items during the after-Christmas sales last year.  Originally I had planned to do a gingerbread farm scene for the large table but I came to my senses about a month ago!





The format of our teas is very traditional.  I make scones, lemon curd & strawberry jam for our first course and serve them to the guests.  Everyone brings a savory or sweet, some bring both (thank you!) We set these items on my kitchen island and serve them potluck style. My family can cook and bake, we always have plenty of good tasting items to choose from!  We share the leftovers, too!

My granddaughter always spends Friday nights with me so she helps me set the tables and decorate, as well as assist with the baking.  Earlier in the day I made Rice Krispies treats.  We cut them in rectangles and, using melted chocolate, M&M's and candy eyes, she turned them into reindeer.  It is fun to watch her confidence in her baking skills grow.




Here is a summary of prior teas:

2017 - Peppermint and Roses Tea

2016 - A Woodland Tea

2016 - A Valentine's Tea

2015 - Let It Snow Tea Party

2013 - A Gingerbread Tea








No comments:

Post a Comment