Thursday, November 2, 2017

Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins (and a new pan!)

Some people have alcohol, drug, or gambling addictions and there are recovery and self-help groups for such people. My addiction is much more mundane; I can't resist a cute baking pan. I've yet to find a support group for my addiction. Thank goodness this addiction is not physically damaging, my only dilemma seems to be where to store yet another pan. I say I have enough, that cute pans don't make things taste any better (though I think they must!), that I have no room for more pans.  That resolve only lasts until I walk into a Williams Sonoma or Sur la Table store.  Then my resolve starts to wane.  I get nervous, I walk to other parts of the store, lest I be tempted. Sometimes I'm successful.  But when I walk in, see a cute pan, and it's 40% off?  Well, a girl can only be so strong! Yes, the pan came home with me!


In my defense, I do use my cute pans. The first use for this fall pan was a batch of Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins. They are just a slight variation from a basic cornbread muffin, but they are a little spicy (jalapeno), savory (cheese), and sweet (honey).  Served with honey butter they are even better. Something about the sweetness of the honey with the spice of the jalapeno is amazing. I used one jalapeno, if you like things spicier, feel free to add more! As I served these with a bowl of spicy chili I knew we didn't need more heat!


These are very easy to make and it's hard not to eat just one. And, you have to admit they are cute!



Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup (1 cube) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon honey
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (more if you like more heat!)
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Lightly coat a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray; set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, and salt.

In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, butter, sugar, eggs, and honey.  Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir, using a rubber spatula, just until moistened.  Add the jalapeno pepper and cheese, and gently toss to combine.

Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin tins.  Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.



1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, I'm feeling an online order coming on and this recipe sounds amazing. I would have never thought to put it in these little pans but what a clever idea. Really like the idea of the honey in this cornbread recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete