Thursday, October 26, 2017

Apple Puff Pastry Tart

I've expressed before how much I love puff pastry and that it's a staple in my freezer. Recently I had an overwhelming craving for something sweet.  I had a rough day at work and needed a little treat. It's relaxing for me to bake, but I didn't have a lot of time to devote to my sweet treat desire. I pulled out a sheet of puff pastry and made this quick apple tart. Easy, good, and just enough to satisfy my craving for a sweet! 

Any apple can be used with this tart.  Fuji apples had just been picked at my favorite fruit stand so I grabbed a bag of them one afternoon!





Apple Puff Pastry Tart

1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
3-5 apples
1 large egg yolk, beaten with 1 teaspoon water to make egg wash
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Streusel Topping

1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Open pastry sheet and remove paper.  On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry sheet into an 8-by-14-inch rectangle. Trim edges with a pizza cutter or knife, if necessary to make edges even. Transfer to a baking sheet; place in freezer.

To make streusel topping, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Using a pastry blender, or two knives, mix ingredients until the mixture is crumbly and it starts holding together.

Peel, core, and slice apples 1/4-inch thick. 

Remove pastry from freezer.  Brush pastry with egg wash, avoiding edges. Using a sharp paring knife, score a 3/4-inch border around pastry (do not cut all the way through). Arrange apples inside border, and dot with butter.  Sprinkle streusel topping over the apples. Bake until pastry is golden and apples are tender, 30 to 35 minutes.

Slightly cutting around the edges allows the border to puff up and enclose the apples.




No comments:

Post a Comment