Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Pumpkin Apple Bread with Streusel Topping

I stop at Starbucks far too often.  I'm trying to break the habit as their recent price increase has tipped me over into the "I shouldn't be doing this" category.  I have a latte machine at home, it's easy to make one to go.  On the days I'm traveling or running errands, though, I still seem to pull through a drive-thru at some time during the day.  While there I usually grab a slice of their pumpkin bread. Now their pumpkin bread is nothing special, it's just ok and convenient. Pumpkin bread is so easy to make and I do make it quite often, especially during the fall months.


This pumpkin bread is a little different, with the addition of apples to the batter and a streusel topping. The apples make for a very moist bread. Any kind of baking apple can be used.  If you want a little bit of tartness use a Granny Smith apple. I'm a sucker for any baked good with a streusel topping so I especially loved this bread. And, yes, I made my latte and grabbed my slice of bread before leaving home.  Good girl, Julie!


Pumpkin Apple Bread with Streusel Topping

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 cups granulated sugar
1 can (15 oz.) pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
4 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup apple juice
2 large apples, peeled, cored and diced
Streusel Topping:
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
5 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease and flour (or spray with baking spray) two 9x5-inch loaf pans (see note below).

Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.

Combine sugar, pumpkin, eggs, vegetable oil and apple juice in large mixer bowl.  Beat until just blended.

Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.

Fold in apples.

Spoon batter equally into prepared loaf pans.

Mix streusel topping in a separate bowl with a fork and sprinkle evenly over each loaf.

Bake for 60-65 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. 

Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove from pans to cool completely on wire racks.

(Can also be baked in six 3x5-inch mini loaf pans.  Reduce baking time to 45-to minutes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment