Monday, June 8, 2015

Three-Berry Pocket Pies

A pocket pie, or turnover, is a small pie easily eaten with the hands; no need for a plate and fork.  They are great for lunches, picnics or anyplace you want to take a pie but not all the dishes and utensils!  Just like a regular-sized pie they can be sweet or savory, your imagination is the only limit.

Last year I bought this little pie mold. Until now it's sat in the drawer waiting to be used. My three granddaughters had their dance recital last Saturday.  It was held at an amphitheater in a local park so it's a very conducive setting for a picnic dinner. It was the perfect opportunity to try the pie mold. 

To save time I made a three-berry pie filling the day before.  The day of the recital I made the pie dough and baked the mini pies. The pie mold worked fantastic, I can see myself using this again and again!

One side of the pie mold is used to cut a circle of pie dough.  I ended up getting 3 circles per disc of dough (9-inch).  (As I had a group to feed I made enough dough to make 12 pies). The other side of the pie mold is what forms the turnover shape.  I lightly floured it and placed the circle of dough on it.  I added a few teaspoons of pie filling.  Then, using the handles on the mold, I squeezed it shut and the end result was a perfect little pie with crimped edges! I love little gadgets like this! My family was quite worried by how much I was enjoying this process but they enjoyed the pies!





Three-Berry Pie Filling

4 cups mixed berries, fresh or frozen (I used blueberries, boysenberries and raspberries)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup corn starch
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon butter

Combine cornstarch and water; set aside.

Combine berries and sugar in large pot, stir well.  Add cornstarch mixture.  Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.  Remove from heat and add butter.  Let mixture cool before using. 

To make pocket pies, add 2-3 teaspoons filling to each pie round. Press mold together per instructions. Cut vents. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet.  If desired, glaze with a beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until browned and filling is bubbly.

Oh, how I love fresh berries in the summer!


Ready for pie!


No comments:

Post a Comment