Friday, September 14, 2018

Sprinkles Scones

I made a batch of lemon curd a few days ago.  I was going to make some lemon curd-filled cupcakes and take to my parents. Coincidentally, I made the curd on the same day that I pick up my granddaughter after school. I mentioned to her that I had made the curd.  Well, that girl loves lemon curd!  She instantly said, "Nana, can we make scones when we get home and have a tea party?" How could I resist? We came home and made scones, set the table, and had tea. I heard all about her day and her friends.  She even brought in her doll to join us. I cherish these times, I know how fleeting they will be as she gets older.



I've been wanting to make these scones ever since the May/June 2017 issue of Bake From Scratch came out.  Previously I made the Rainbow Sprinkle Loaf from the issue, which was wonderful. I knew my granddaughter would enjoy the sprinkles in the scones and I'm a sucker for anything with almond extract in it. These were so good, very flaky and sweet. If you want a less sweet scone, the glaze cam be omitted.  But, why?  Save the diet for another day!



Birthday Cake Scones with Vanilla Glaze

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon whole milk, divided
1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
Vanilla glaze (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Make a well in center of flour mixture; add 1 cup milk and the extracts. Using a wooden spoon, stir until a shaggy dough forms. Add sprinkles, and stir to combine.

Turn out dough onto a heavily floured surface and knead for 1 minute. Pat dough into a 9-inch circle, about 1 inch thick. Cut into wedges.  Transfer to prepared pan.  Brush with remaining 2 tablespoon milk and sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon sugar.

Bake until lightly golden, about 30 minutes. Let cool on pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool on a wire rack. Drizzle with vanilla glaze and garnish with extra sprinkles, if desired.

Vanilla Glaze

1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon whole milk
1/2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Glaze should form a sturdy ribbon when drizzled from a spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment