Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Fall In The Courtyard

The seasons change slowly in my area of California.  We are still having temperatures in the high-80's, yet the pumpkin patches and corn mazes are open. I have a hard time getting into decorating for fall when I'm still in my summer clothes! I've not done much interior decorating, we are going to be in and out the last few weeks of the month so I know I won't get too carried away with this year's decorating. I did do some fall decorating of our courtyard.  It was time to replace the summer annuals with flowers that will last through the winter; pansies and snapdragons are my favorites for that. We dragged out some old crocks from storage and I filled them with colorful mums.  A few pumpkins and we're fall festive!  I can't quite let go of summer so left my sunflower wreath on the door for a few more weeks.


When we bought our home in 1984, the courtyard area consisted of a small grassy patch and flowerbeds on each side.  It was hard to maintain and was really a waste of space.  I told my Hubbers many years ago that I wanted a brick courtyard.  Well, we had kids to raise, college to pay for, so that project got put on the back burner.  About five years ago we were finally able to complete that project.  I love our courtyard and spend a lot of time in it, especially in the late afternoons.  It's shaded by then, I sit out in one of the chairs and stitch or read.  I'm entertained by the hummingbirds coming to feed at the feeder or play in the fountain.  The fountain is also used by the finches and sparrows that frequent our yard.  Every now and then we even get a hawk that comes to take a water break! It's a very peaceful spot for me. Decorated for fall, it's even more special!


This morning my Hubbers and I watched a hummingbird taking his morning bath in the fountain!


I got my cat, Krisha, in 1981.  She lived 21 years.  I adored her.  She loved to curl up in this spot so her ashes are buried under the figurine.

My Hubbers lost two of his brothers to lung cancer last year.  One of his clients bought us this rose bush as a remembrance. It's growing like crazy!



My old guy, Harley, wanted his picture taken, too!  He will be 15 in January.  He loves to sit out in the courtyard with me!

2 comments:

  1. Harley has changed so much, the old guy is getting grey. I love your courtyard, it looks like such a pleasant place to relax. Loved this post.

    I have been watching the devastation by the fires in CA, I know you live in the Southern end of CA but last week it looked like S CA was having a good bit of fires too. Are y'all close to where any of this has been happening in the Southern end of CA? Hopefully not, what I am seeing on the news is just beyond heart breaking.

    Stay safe, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn, I live in central California. We are about 80-100 miles southeast of the Napa Valley area. We are safe from the fire but the air quality is terrible, so much smoke has settled into our valley.

      Delete