Monday, November 21, 2016

Pomegranate Cosmo

Each year I make batches and batches of pomegranate jelly.  It's my Hubbers' favorite jelly so I have to make sure he has a good supply in the pantry.  A jar of jelly is our Christmas gift to neighbors, friends and family. I used to buy pomegranate juice from a local farmer.  The past four or five years I've relied on the crop my tree produces and pomegranates that friends give me (thanks, Tony!) Unknown to us until this year, my mother-in-law has a very productive tree so we spent an hour or so picking some of its fruit, too.  I have a pomegranate press and I spend hours on the back patio squeezing the juice out of the red orbs.  I strain the juice through cheesecloth then freeze.  As time allows I defrost the juice and make batches of jelly.  The last three weeks I've spent the bulk of my weekends making jelly.  I am finally done for the year! I had a little juice left over, not enough to make another batch of jelly, but enough for a little treat for all my hard work.  A pomegranate cosmo is just what I needed to drink while I put my feet up!


These cosmos would be great for Thanksgiving entertaining.  A pitcher makes about 6 drinks and can be made ahead of time.  Of course, the recipe can be doubled (or tripled!) for a large crowd. Pomegranate juice is available in most grocery stores these days. These cosmos are so good!

Pomegranate Cosmos (recipe from Barefoot Contessa)

2 cups (16 ounces) good vodka
1 cup (8 ounces) orange liqueur
1 cup (8 ounces) pomegranate juice
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (3 limes)
Lime peel strips, to garnish, if desired

Combine the vodka, orange liqueur, pomegranate juice, and lime juice in a pitcher and refrigerate until ready to use.  Pour the mixture into frozen martini glasses with a twist of lime peel and serve immediately.

If you're like me, there is no room in my freezer to keep glasses frozen.  I pour some into a shaker full of ice and shake until very cold.

We have 52 jars from this year's production.

My pressing station.  It's such a messy job!

My cooktop looked like this most of the weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Julie! One of our PHS 75 classmates told me about your wonderful blog. I haven't had a chance to read through it all, but what I have I enjoyed.
    My mother made pomegranate jelly for years, it too is one of my favorites. I have never attempted to make it as I can't get past the memory of moms hard labor of love. I admire your efforts, and love your personalized etched lids, very nice touch.
    Best wishes for a safe and joyous thanksgiving, Anne Harp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! Nice to hear from you! Yes, the jelly is a labor of love for sure! Hope your Thanksgiving is full of blessings! Julie

      Delete
    2. The martini looks fabulous, one I will definitely try over the holidays. Thanks for sharing the recipe and I am just WOWED by your jelly making. What special friends, family and neighbors to be a recipient.

      Carolyn

      Delete