Friday, September 16, 2016

Lemon Zucchini Bread

If you are friends with a gardener you know that sometime during the summer you will be gifted some zucchini. It has to be one of the most prolific vegetables to grow! I don't grow any myself but I was fortunate enough to receive excess veggies from a few people. I always shred and freeze some so that I have some available during the winter.  But, a lot does get baked with as I receive it!

I was looking for a quick bread and turned to my favorite recipe spot, Pinterest (I have no idea what I did with my time before this web site came along!) I wanted something different other than the standard recipe with cinnamon and walnuts.  When I ran across this zucchini treat with lemon in it I knew I had to try it.  My Hubbers loves lemon loaf! He wasn't disappointed with this bread and the recipe has gone into my "keeper" file.


If you want a little more sweetness you can top the cake with a lemon glaze or dusting of powdered sugar.  It's good, as is, but I like the addition of the glaze with it.

If you know me, you know I have to use one of my pretty cake pans, this one topped with impressions of lemons!



Lemon Zucchini Bread

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
Juice of 1 lemon (2 tablespoons)
Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup grated zucchini

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour a 9x5-inch loaf pan; set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.  In a medium bowl, beat the 2 eggs, then add the oil and sugar and mix well.  Add the buttermilk, lemon juice and zest and mix well.  Stir in the zucchini.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined; do not overmix. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack and cool completely.

Lemon glaze (optional):
1 cup powdered sugar
Juice of 1 lemon (2 tablespoons)

In a small bowl, gradually add lemon juice to powdered sugar until the mixture is smooth and creamy and the desired consistency is reached.  Pour over cooled loaf. Allow to harden.

1/2 teaspoon of meringue powder can also be added to the glaze to make it harden better.

No comments:

Post a Comment