Sunday, May 31, 2015

Rhubarb-Blueberry Crumble

 I love rhubarb, love the sweet-tart taste of it in baked goods. Rhubarb and strawberry are quite often associated with each other and make a delicious combination. After my recent blueberry picking experience Mom sent me this recipe.  That was a hint that I needed to make it! Well, a person is never too old to learn and I have learned that rhubarb and blueberries also work well together!

This recipe took no time to put together and was delicious! My Hubbers requested a scoop of ice cream on his!

Rhubarb-Blueberry Crumble

2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups blueberries
3 cups sliced rhubarb

Topping:
3/4 cup Bisquick/baking mix
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup chopped almonds (I used pecans)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a large bowl, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt.  Add blueberries and rhubarb; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 8-inch square baking dish.

For topping, in a small bowl, mix baking mix, sugar and salt.  Cut in butter until crumbly; stir in oats and almonds. Sprinkle over filling.  Bake 40-45 minutes or until filling is bubble and topping is golden brown.

The fruit, in all it's juicy glory, waiting for the topping!

I use a pastry blender to cut in the butter; two knives can also be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment